On August 14, 2013, a group of about 27 individuals met in the house of Ron & Stacy Shelton to discuss the possibility of starting a new congregation in Jonesboro. This meeting was followed by a meeting on August 20 at their house where about 21 people continued to discuss the new congregation. The individuals present at the meeting selected the name Grace Point Church of Christ for the purpose of getting a tax identification number. It was agreed that this name may or may not change after a permanent location is found. At this meeting, ministry areas were identified with the following individuals agreeing to be involved in the identified ministries:
The next meeting occurred on September 3, 2013, at what was formerly the Harvey’s Bodyshop building at Farville. It was decided that we would rent this building for services. In addition to the areas of work previously identified, the following individuals agreed to be involved with these ministries:
Several more preparatory meetings followed, as well as, Men’s Business meetings.
The congregation first met on Sunday, November 3, 2013, at what was formerly Harvey’s Bodyshop, with 140 in attendance. The first ministers were David Gibson and Allen Ashlock.
Alyssa Blakeney served as the first Youth Intern, working with children 6th grade and below, during the summers of 2014 & 2015. During the summer of 2014, Grace Point sponsored a mission trip to Marion, Virginia, with eight of our members to knock doors, conduct a Gospel Meeting and a one-day VBS.
Elders were appointed in December 2014. There are currently three elders.
Deacons were appointed in July 2015. There are currently eight deacons.
New land for a building was purchased in February 2015. The building location includes 4.3 acres and a house at 1405 Old Bridger Road. Building plans began during 2015 with architectural plans and pictures produced in November 2015.